Saturday, October 5, 2013

Not as easy as it looks and Georgia O'Keefe.

             
After listening/reading the expose on Georgia O’Keefe and her husband Alfred Sieglitz, I found it charming and endearing. I found her letter writing a good use of the English language. I noticed after reading excerpts of letters she saved over time that letter writing was an art form, a lost art form (along with English language, some may say). The article brought me back to a trip I took to the Southwest in the early 2000’s where I was fortunate to visit The Georgia O’Keefe Museum. What I remember about the area in New Mexico it was as O’Keefe describes as “astonishing” Furthermore, the land was vast and colorful mainly from the many hot air balloons. I found O’Keefe a naturally born and true artist as her handwriting was creative and inventive as the narrator describes; “sweeping squiggles and curlicues.”

I compare the art of letter writing to the art of photography. There was an anticipation of receiving a letter. As well as an anticipation of waiting for development of film in the “old way” of photography in darkrooms as opposed to the new art of digital photography.
 



3 comments:

  1. I love the middle photo...very genuine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving in close was a good strategy... The white hat is tough to reconcile tonally as it is much brighter than the skin. A good rule of thumb is not to let your subject wear white as it's too hard to deal with...

    The light is breaking subtly across the face in a very good way in #'s 2 and 3

    Good!

    ReplyDelete